25A - What's Next?
Existing Market
- After the initial roll-out of the app, I see Sustainable Shopper creating a membership service where not only do they get to go ad-free, but they also get exclusive deals on sustainable items. From there I can see it expanding into an eco-friendly online marketplace. All of this would of course be done in stages in order to gain momentum.
- All three customers I interviewed said that they wanted to see the app used as a platform to further the sustainable industry.
- What makes the most sense to me is what I listed above, making the app more of a resource for our sustainable shoppers then it ever was before. This means taking it to new heights by creating a marketplace, discount codes, and user forums. This would mean that customers would have a more comprehensive experience where they would be able to truly thrive as a sustainable shopper.
New Market
- My company would definitely be targeting a more privileged group of people. To use our product you need a smartphone and the funds to shop sustainably which not everyone has. So the opposite market would be a less privileged demographic.
- While I don't know if we could help those without a smartphone, it could still be a great resource for those who have it. It could show you local thrift stores and consignment shops. If the marketplace was set up people could sell things there that they no longer needed and this would be helpful to less privileged customers.
- The people that I interviewed from this market said that they would love to use it to discover more used clothes and furniture in their area. They would also like to use it for other items that are harder to find like diapers and old baby items.
- I think that a lot of my assumptions were correct because most customers from this demographic already shop sustainably by default. They buy second-hand and loan out unused items. This means that my app would be another tool to help them with what they're already doing.
I think you did a great job targeting the opposite of your target market and outlining how to do so. Although you could target a less privileged group of people it wouldn't be beneficial to your growth because the app can only be downloaded on a smartphone or tablet of some type. If you were to move your app to a website that is more easily accessible more people could benefit from it while also making an app. Great job overall!
ReplyDeleteHi Riley!
ReplyDeleteI think that your target market would benefit just the same as if you marketed a less privileged demographic. Almost everyone under 60 has a smart phone, and even then, people over 60 have smart phones too. I think you should really target all income demographics, because a lot of less privileged consumers are more likely to shop sustainably. I think merging your old and new market is the key to your success.