7A - Testing the Hypothesis
Opportunity: An app that scans barcodes or QR codes and lets the consumer know how ethically the product was produced
The Who: Consumers concerned about the environment and ethics.
The What: They are unable to know if the product is truly ethical
The Why: Companies usually don't want consumers to know upfront.
Hypothesis: Many people want to know who is producing their products and just how ethically it is being done.
Interviews
- Radyn (19): Radyn is someone who thinks that knowing how a product was made is of great importance. She thinks that companies often don't make it very easy for people to know how the product was made.
- Sydney (20): Sydney agrees that an app letting consumers know how a product was made would be of great use to her. She is very concerned about her environmental footprint and would love a way to know what she is leaving behind.
- Lainey (20): Lainey thinks that many of her friends would use a product like this. But, being an avid thrifter she thinks that she wouldn't find much use for an app like this considering most of her clothes are second-hand, thus not creating any new waste.
- Cathy (58): Cathy would definitely use an app like this. As someone concerned with human rights, she doesn't want to contribute to fast fashion or sweatshops. She wants to make sure that what she buys is produced ethically.
- Houston (23): Houston would definitely use an app like this to ensure that he is buying ethically. He also thinks that if an app like this become widely used then companies would start to change due to the increased transparency.
I really enjoy this idea. I think it would be a great hit, especially with the big data that the app could pull information from. I personally don't think about sustainability or ethical production when I make most of the purchases I do, but I understand that there is a huge wave of people whose number one purchasing factor is sustainability. I think it is a great wave, and am glad that it is happening, forcing production to adapt to better systems.
ReplyDeleteHi Riley! I think your idea is a great business opportunity. I am sure there is no other product like this, so this is great, innovative and a unique idea. I think it would be popular amongst many people because currently everyone is really making an eco-friendly change—especially our generation. I didn’t notice where you put what information you learned from your interviews but aside from that I really enjoyed reading about your possible business idea.
ReplyDeleteI think this idea is great! As I said in my earlier comments, people would get to know how much harm they are truly causing my supporting certain businesses. Our footprint is only increasing and we need to look at ways where we can combat the problem and this app would do that by catering to all ages.
ReplyDeleteHey Riley,
ReplyDeleteI believe this is a great idea. Big fast food restaurant chains such as Wendy's have been outed in the past for mistreatment of their farmers, and this product would keep them honest and create better working conditions for employees all around. Additionally keeping our carbon foot print as minimal as possible in this day and age is imperative in order to ensure resources for future generations. Great post!